The first car to wear the Chrysler Newport name was the Newport Phaeton. The Phaeton was a limited production show car that served as the pace car for the 1941 Indianapolis 500. Based on the Chrysler New Yorker, the Phaeton was powered by a 5.3L inline eight engine, and saw only six examples produced. From 1950 until 1960, the Newport name featured as the designation for two door hardtops available on the New Yorker and Windsor models. The Newport name was applied to an entry-level model starting in 1961 with the First Generation Chrysler Newport.